Summers are not just about hot sun, chilled water, ice creams and mangoes. It is the best time of the year; the long awaited summer vacations and is possibly the happiest time in the school life. It usually lasts for about two months or so.
Most of the parents during this duration think, “What should my kids do for this summer productively?”, and subsequently end up with ‘n’ number of options. It is the best time to pertain some recreational activities. You can make the summer vacation wonderful if you have made a plan for this great time! Discuss with your children and find out some topics of their interest and benefit.
Here are some things which you can get your kids started with:
Develop a hobby – Let your kids take up a hobby, for example, music, dance, craft work, art or learn new software etc. This will enhance your children’s personality and interest. By doing so, they can grow creativity and knowledge simultaneously.
Learn a new language – Learning a new language is an enjoyment and gain of knowledge at the same time.
Get a library membership – Visit the local library or bookstore and get a membership.Reading is a great activity for summer and it will help them to brush up on their reading skills.
Join a summer camp – Many schools offer summer programs to enrich children’s hobbies. Check with your nearby school and colleges in the area to see if there’s a summer program available.
Take a Trip – Assign the kids a location for a day trip into the nearest big city or the closest beach. Let them plan and help in organizing the trip. This is a great way for kids to practice their organization and time management skills.
Summer is to enjoy. Every kid should have his/her share of fun. Parents should take all efforts to make the process fun for kids and therefore should productively plan on how they can keep their kids occupied during the summer.
Happy Vacation from Math Buddy
visual Math learning happens to be among the most complex subjects for majority of students in schools. Understanding the logic and fundamental concepts seems like an uphill task for these students. Even the students who seem to enjoy mathematics in primary grades begin developing some kind of an aversion towards Math as they get to higher classes. One of the possible reasons for this could be that the concepts become more complex at higher levels of education and learning with understanding becomes more challenging for many students.
With technology, visualizing such concepts and understanding them has become much easier. There are several visual and interactive technologies that not only help in understanding the fundamentals of math, but also enhance the interest of children to a great extent. When children are able to visualize and understand the concepts, there is no reason to have any fear or hatred for mathematics. Children then start to enjoy learning math.
Our objective with visual Math Buddy has been to create visual interactive tools that help teachers to illustrate mathematics concepts in the classroom and for students to visualize and understand the concepts better. There are over 1000 interactive activities and manipulatives covering all the topics from grades 1 to 8 to help enhance math skills in children. In addition to activities, there are also smart sheets and ability to create customized assessments to help children practice math concepts.
The biggest advantage of learning with Math Buddy is to help your kid learn math with understanding and practice math concepts while having some fun.
So let us start enjoying math.
Get rid of the thought that math is a monster.
Hit the math, just do it.
To know more about Math Buddy visit www.mathbuddyonline.com
Tablets have captured the imagination of customers. It is one of the most popular products in the market these days and has taken portable computing technology to new heights. Tablets have indeed become one of the best selling gadgets of all time in the shortest period.
A Tablet offers most of the advantages of the notebook PCs used in the classroom and some more. They in fact have become a tool on the other side of the desk as a way for teachers to use multimedia content as a learning aide in a classroom. According to recent trends in education, Tablet has a lot to offer in the context of student behavior. Let us explore some of the ways tablets can impact the way students learn.
- Tablets can add a lot of power to textbooks – Tablet can offer a better look for books in the form of ebooks with additional features of audio and video. For example, look at the picture of Martin Luther King, Jr. and hear his “I Have a Dream” speech. The result is a wonderful integrated learning experience. That’s the power of technology. Also, reading through ebooks through tablet can save so much of paper and in turn trees. It has recently been announced that by 2015, South Korean students will replace textbooks with tablets.
- Tablets fit students’ lifestyle – They’re lightweight and thin, carrying them is so easy. Tablets allow students to listen to previous lectures or lessons that they have missed, highlight text, take notes in the margin and a complete access to dictionary. Tablets match almost everything that a traditional classroom offers.
- Availability and content readiness – Tablet manufacturers are mushrooming everywhere. There are so many options available in the market now with varied prices and features. Increased competition will drive the prices down in the near future. In addition, content developers are scrambling to adapt their content for the tablet platform. Over the coming years, expect to see more and more tablets popping up in the schools.
- Mobile tablet trolleys – Some schools have started using mobile tablet trolleys with 30 – 40 tablets that move from classroom to classroom in a bid to save space that will otherwise be required for a computer lab. Students can sit in their own desks and access interactive content to learn concepts.
Great, so are there any things to be worried about tablets?
While tablets can be a boon for education, it can also impact negatively unless sufficient care is taken.
- Most importantly, there needs to be good access control software that helps to control the content accessed by the children to ensure that they do not get exposed to undesirable sites.
- With the advent of calculators, many students stopped applying their minds for calculations and started depending on calculators for simple arithmetic results. Similarly, tablets could take a toll on students using their hands to write things with pen and paper.
However, with proper controls and with the right guidance, tablets will add a lot of value in the way our children learn.
We always look to the upcoming and ask “What’s next?”. The technology that we have right now can help create better, smarter and more informed students with so much resource.
Math with a good foundation leads to many benefits in life. A fine understanding of math helps to fuel middle and advanced learning in various education levels. There are times when we run into difficult topics that we cannot pass up. It is quite natural to target topics which we like or find easy to do. But we must not ignore the weak areas, especially when they are critical.
There are some topics of prime concern that are of big use in mathematics. The important point to realize is, when we know our own weaknesses and do not make any effort to correct or improve them. This habit is a strict no-no.
Let us understand how to overcome this habit and strengthen a weak topic in math.
Throw yourself directly into the topic that you are not too good with. Surround yourself with the information that helps to improve your understanding of the topic. In short, practice, practice and practice.
Let’s understand this with the help of some examples.
- Marathon runners practice hard to maintain their stamina and good timing.
- Swimmers practice all day long to improve their timing and flow.
- Musicians practice their musical score to the finest level.
The list can go on and on. The saying ‘practice makes perfect’ is well known and will probably never disappear. Why? Because it works. Not only does this apply to math learning, it applies to any area or field that we are weak in.
Once you know the areas or concepts that you are weak, list them. Make up a plan in the required order, which means the sequence of concepts which you want to target one by one. For example:
Addition → Multiplication concept → Multiplication tables
Next step is to make a detailed study of the topic and further related topics. Explore the topic, understand, link and make thorough observations.
Never deny the chance to learn. It is okay if you don’t know the perfect calculation or the technique. Clarify the unknown and try not to repeat them. Denying yourself the chance to fully understand the weak topic will lead to incomplete comprehension of the principles and concepts. A false sense of achievement may arise, which can result in shameful outcome later on.
For strengthening any weak topic, seek for true understanding by immersing into the topic instead of avoiding it. By doing so, the probability of mastering the weak math topic will be quite fair.
Click here to know more about Mathbuddy.
For most of us Math has been a subject of great struggle. Simply following a textbook doesn’t full fill the information needed to solve Math problems properly.
Math particularly is quite different from other subjects like English, Geography or even Science. Math is a subject in which you must start at the beginning and build upon what you learned in the previous lesson. The answer derived is either 100% right or 100% wrong, there is nothing like a partially correct answer.
Unlike other areas of study, one can’t just pick up a Math book and begin unless the proper sequence of preliminary concepts is understood. This is because the study of Math is the study of a procedure and methodology. Many students that develop Math problems in the middle grades do so because of this effect. The multi-step problems magnify minor inaccuracies into major, test-failing problems.
Math difficulties generally are of three types,
Process problems deal with the process adopted by students to solve the problems. This causes most of the difficulties Math students have. As such, they are really personal habits that need to be corrected.
Conceptual problems are the one where the concepts are not clear. Explain the concepts to the students until it becomes clear to them, use references, examples, objects etc.
Algorithmic problems are problems related to the method of problem solving. The general procedure to solve an algorithmic problem is to first teach the student that an algorithm is a step-by-step procedure along with the couple of revisions later.
Students who solve problems usually with short cuts will often have trouble with complex problems because they are used to shortcuts rather using a robust methodology. Such students generally have a tendency not to check their answers, which is a wrong practice.
To help students it is advisable to try and incorporate basic math into day-to-day life. One of the great ways is to use interactive activities and online materials for introducing and later explaining concepts. Math becomes more of fun a learning activity with such a new age technology. Math Buddy is such a platform for students to explore the ways of dealing with mathematics. It’s an online learning system which is absolutely user friendly.
For more details and updates add us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Math-Buddy-Online/65993079958
Secured Internet Under Parental Control Parenting means a lot more than just meeting your children’s basic needs, education and clothing. It bends more towards bringing up your children in a morally upright way. In order to fulfill the responsibility of protecting your children online, it is advisable that every parent should master the basics of computers. Only then the parents can effectively guide them about the do’s and don’ts of the internet. Teach them to use the Internet safely and encourage them to share their experiences with you from time to time.
Children are usually a way ahead of parents in case of internet and technology. They seem to be quite comfortable and are curious to explore more and more. Technology has developed vastly resulting in more information, details and opportunity along with risk of over exposure; that has made “safety on internet” an evolving issue for parents.
Providing a safe and secure environment for children surfing on the internet is important for parents. Internet brings a lot of repulsive, violent and vulgar content which are very harmful for children. It is required to make sure that the young ones do not stumble upon inappropriate content, violent images or pornography, because all this is just one click away. Nowadays, students are getting more and more used to searching for information on the net and just few mistakes in spelling here and there could take them to inappropriate sites. Secured Internet Under Parental Control Internet has become a host to predators, therefore it is very important for parents to assist their children timely, so that they can handle their curiosities easily.
Despite the fact that it is important to know what your kids are up to when they use internet, extra care should be taken at the parents end, so that they do not interfere with children’s privacy. Such intrusion may lead to conflict between the two, raising the chances of intentional disobedience. Parents have to work an extra mile to ensure that children are unaffected from the wrong influences when they are active on the internet.
Installing the latest security software or filtering/monitoring software is not enough to monitor the online activities. Children might end up creating random emails and social networking profiles on internet from cyber or any friend’s house. The unruly behavior of kids can be awfully worrying and frustrating. If the condition deteriorates to this level, parents should have an open dialog to encounter this. Sharing related experiences while going behind their parents back can really drive your point to convince children.
Hopefully the strategic approach for dealing with internet safety for children will help parents to make better use of Internet.
Some Quick Fix
- First educate yourself, then your child.
- Place the computer in an open room with the monitor facing out. This allows you to see and control what is occurring on the Internet.
- Bookmark child-friendly web sites. This allows your children to easily get to safe sites that they have used before.
- Teach children to crash and tell if they bump into a bad experience, they should feel comfortable in talking with parents about the experience.
- Educate your children about the Internet, both the positives and the potential dangers.
- Teach your children to refrain from chat rooms.
- Teach children to never open email from someone they do not know.
- Never respond to any kind of a pornographic email. If you or your child receives a message that is harassing, of a sexual nature, or threatening, forward a copy of the message to your ISP, and ask for assistance.
- Install an Internet filter or family safety software. Tell your child if you are using software to track her online activity. Remind him that you are not spying; you are keeping him safe.
- Manage your children’s time on the Internet.
- Instruct your child to never give out personal information online, including her full name, gender, age, school, address, or teams.