Click here to access Math Buddy and explore Fractions.
Fraction as part of life
Fraction occupies a central role in our day to day life
- A solid framework at an early stage will enable the kids understand and comprehend various aspects of math topics.
- It is thus important to design activities which are combination of both conceptual and skill learning and that is exactly we do at Math Buddy.
How do we explain fractions?
Explain what a whole /part is
- Show them a full pizza, which is divided into say 4 or 5 pieces. Ask them how many pieces are there?
- Then remove one piece and ask how many are removed from the total.
- Give a series of similar practice where the question can be how many pieces are taken out or left over.
- They will eventually understand that the top part in the fraction is the number of pizza pieces seen or missing and the bottom is the total number of pieces needed to get the original pizza.
|Taking a step ahead
Kids are naturally curious and when a real life example is shown, they associate it even better.
- One other example we provide at Math Buddy is asking the kid to water a circular lawn.
- Divide the circular lawn to say 4 portions and ask them to water 1 portion.
- Make it interesting by asking them to water a full lawn. Make the discussion lively. You will be surprised to see how each child reacts.
Click here to access Math Buddy and explore Fractions